Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Ocean


This past weekend, my wife and I went down to the beach. This is a bit of a hike for us, especially for just a weekend, but we always have an awesome time and we stay at my family beach house. This of course makes for excellent training opportunities. First there is the very long, flat stretch of highway with excellent bike lanes. But second there is, of course, the OCEAN! Yay! I didn't take my bike to the beach this weekend, cause I rode right before we left and had a ride planned for Monday after. BUT I did bring my wetsuit.

I love love love swimming in the ocean. And in my wetsuit. I feel very fast, and it's just a great confidence builder. This time my wife and our friend Becky walked along the beach as I swam, which ended up being extremely helpful for me. I used them to gauge how far from the shore I was every time I took a breath to the shore side. Using the houses/buildings is never a good way to tell because they are all different heights, but as long as my two walkers were approximately the same height as the last time I checked, I knew I hadn't swum out to sea. Highly recommend this technique if you have any willing helpers.

I got in my longest run since the last tri, and my hip held out through it, but it was sore after and is still sore today. I broke down and made another Drs appt to get it looked at again.

Another thing I broke down and did? Bought a trainer for my bike. I know, I know, it's summer, not winter, so it seems like the wrong season, but honestly with the heat waves we have been getting, it kind of necessary. Some days, especially if I have a double and don't want to be totally wiped for my second workout, training indoors is necessary. I just sat down and put it together tonight, so I am gonna use it for my ride tomorrow morning! I'm pretty excited!

Speaking of rides (wow this is a stream of consciousness post), yesterday I went out for a ride with two of my fellow bike shop grunts. It was really fun and awesome, and for them (they are serious cyclists) probably relaxing. I got a good workout though! It was very hot and humid, but we made the best of it. Thanks Dave and Amanda!!

I realize that I haven't posted a recipe in a while. I have a few good ones left, but I have definitely been in a bit of a cooking rut recently. I better get back into making some new dinners so I can give you some recipes! This is my new mission. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment