Sunday, May 22, 2011

New Recipe: Baked Sockeye Salmon with Bell Peppers and Capers

First things first, I got in a 40 mile training group ride today! It was awesome, and my foot really didn't bother me much, probably because there isn't much flexion involved in riding with bike shoes...

So here is the recipe that I've been meaning to put up for about two weeks now. It is adapted from one I found on epicurious.com. My version is for fewer people (its about two servings) and takes less prep work (I don't tell you to char the peppers first, like they do).

Again, when making salmon I urge that you find a sustainable fish! Sockeye salmon wild caught from Alaska are the best choice!

Baked Sockeye Salmon with Bell Peppers and Capers
  • 1 red bell pepper and 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 1 or 1.5 pounds wild salmon, preferably cut as a long fillet, not steaks
  • 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed in cold water (cut up if too large)
  • 2 whole peeled garlic cloves
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
Preheat your oven to 375. Rinse off your salmon and pat dry. Coat the bottom of a baking pan with some of your olive oil and lay the fish in the pan, skin side down. Place the peppers, capers, and whole garlic cloves around and on top of the salmon in the pan. Season with salt and pepper (I found it was best to be liberal). Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the fish and bake for 15-16 minutes.

Super easy, super fast and very very good. I only had yellow bell peppers, but it was still great. I served mine along side steamed spinach with balsamic vinegar.

1 comment:

  1. I've always been curious about how to cook salmon so that I like it. Thus far no winner. I might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete