Monday, February 14, 2011

home town athletic solidarity


I think that most triathletes (and runners, and cyclists) will agree, that there is something really uplifting about the solidarity we share with other athletes we pass out on the roads. There are different greetings, from the small hand raise, to the grunted hello, to the head nod of understanding, but they all mean the same thing: I know what you're going through right now, and I respect you for enjoying it as much as I do.

Today I was out running around the back roads near my parents farm. It was unseasonably warm
today, and I was almost overdressed in capri running tights and a very light longsleeve performance top. The snow is still on the ground up here around my parents, and the melt was washing over the roads. It's very strange to see this much snow while sweating so profusely. Anyway, I wasn't the only one taking advantage of the beautiful weather. As I ran I was passed by several road cyclists. Every single one gave me a greeting of some sort, and I responded in kind. I am trying to remember, I think it was mostly a combination nod and hand raise...thing...

Anyway, love my fellow athletes and loved the weather and the beauty of my home town and family farm. Even more exciting was spending some time with my dog, who still lives with my parents. Teddy!

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment