Monday, March 7, 2011

Magical Disney 5K and FUN!


To say that I am exhausted is more than an understatement. I haven't slept that well in the last week, but I did have an awesome time in Disney with my young cousins. This past week was supposed to be the start of my tri training season, but since we were in Disney my training was a bit limited. I had to use stationary bike and elliptical for the most part, and I only got one swim in. But, I did run a 5K, despite the fact that I've been recovering from shin splints for a while now. That past two weeks I put in a mile to mile and a half run at the beginning of my "run day" workouts and then I got on the elliptical for 30 or 40 minutes. The 5K on Saturday was the longest I've run since my injuries flared up again. I was surprised at how good I felt and how fast I was able to go. I ended up 11 seconds off of my PR with a time of 25:40. So even with limited run training, I feel really good about my overall cardiovascular fitness with a performance like that.

My cousin Christina ran with me. The 5K was around Hollywood Studios, so it was really fun to see everything along the way. The course was really curvy, with no straightaway at the finish. I felt like I had a bit more in the tank, but without the straight away I wasn't sure where to start my sprint and guessed too late. Still, I had a really great time and a good run.

The rest of the trip was awesome. My little cousins had the time of their lives. Now it's time to buckle down for my training (and my thesis work). Hopefully I'll be meeting my new training partner this week as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment